I went up to my Grandma's on Saturday and helped her clean out her closet. We came across her wedding dress that is 62 years old. A little wrinkled and faded, it was still beautiful. Unfortunately, I never knew my Grandpa, as he passed away of a heart attack when he was 59 (I was just over a year old). My Grandma talks about him from time to time, and even more so lately. She misses him and says she is ready to see him again. The selfish part of me wants her to be around forever, or at least long enough to see me get married and have my first baby. I have always been extremely close with her, and I can't imagine her not being here, but I can see in her eyes that she is tired, and ready for heaven.
Here are some pictures I was able to take. I have this cool application called "Retro Photo" which makes your photos look vintage. This particular camera made your pictures look like polaroids. Kinda neat...
Beautiful beading on the back of the dress

Veil

Close up beading... 26 beads total.

As much as I'd like to clean her dress and wear it myself if I ever get married, I don't think I could ever get down to a size 2 (That's how small she was when she married my Grandpa at 20 years old). I hope to someday try and incoporate her dress into my own wedding dress. My only hope and wish is she is around to see that happen.
2 comments:
How neat. It would be so awesome to wear it or a piece of it someday. Check out the article in Sunday's Star Trib, variety section on "trashing your dress."
BEAUTIFUL! And remember that size 2 back then is NOT size 2 today. Seriously anorexic 14 year old girls hardly qualify for size 2 in today's clothing!
Post a Comment