Monday, February 14, 2011

I've been dating since I was 16, I'm exhausted.... where is HE already??!

As of 6pm on Friday night, I still hadn’t a clue as to what I was going to wear. I was having a major case of a closet full of clothes and nothing to wear syndrome. I finally ended up choosing a simple black and white striped top with a long black jersey cardigan, dark boot cut jeans, and a sparkly necklace and earrings. I spent about 20 minutes fussing with my hair and make up and finally just gave in and said “This is as good as it’s going to get.” I met up with the girls from work who talked me into going on this adventure and we had a pre-event liquid courage shot to get us prepared. We arrived at the Aloft hotel around 8pm, signed in and immediately went to the bar for a drink. I nursed a glass of white wine and started surveying the eligible bachelors. I tried my best not to judge or make pre-conceived notions but it was hard not too and I knew they were doing the same towards me. There were 10 guys, and 11 girls. We all have 5 minute mini dates with each of them. 6 of the mini dates were painful, awkward, and at times I felt like I was having a conversation with myself. I was putting forth all of the effort only to get 1 work answers in return. There were 4 guys who I felt I connected with. We could keep conversation going and even laughed a bit, which I think is a good sign! After each date, I needed to circle yes or no to if I wanted to see them again. I circled yes to 4 guys who I felt I connected with. One of the guys I REALLY liked but I could tell from his body language that I wasn’t his type as after our 5 minutes was up, he couldn’t get away from me fast enough. After the dating madness ended, I met up with my friends and we had another drink to compare notes. It didn’t come as a surprise that we all thought the same 4 guys were potential "yes'". We shared stories, laughed to the point of tears, and decided to head out to get some food. We hit up a Wendy’s of all places and continued to share stories and laugh some more. If anything, I had a blast with the girls.

On Saturday morning I logged into my account to confirm my “Yes” connections. Per the instructions, I would be notified if I had any mutual matches by Monday morning as all of the information needed to be entered by Sunday night. I was a little excited to see if I had any mutual matches but also trying hard not to have high expectations. I logged on this morning with butterflies in my stomach, only to be disappointed, once again. No matches. I guess I’m not really shocked, but also a little disappointed. A part of me was expecting this outcome. Despite the disappointment, I am proud of myself that I did this. I am trying to put myself out there, and it’s just not happening for me. I’ll never give up though. I’ll never loose hope that someday, somewhere, the love of my life is waiting for me too. I’m going to keep plugging away, hoping that cupid will shoot me in the ass one of these days and I can finally begin to experience MY version of happily ever after.

1 comment:

Jessie said...

I am super proud of you! It sounded like fun too! Good for you for putting yourself out there.