Monday, April 25, 2011

Conversation with my Grandma

My Grandpa died when I was just over a year old from a massive heart attack. He was 59 years young. In a lot of senses, I feel my Grandma was robbed from another 30 plus years of marriage with him but unfortunately there are a lot of things in life that don’t make sense, and we don’t understand God’s plan or reasoning. Every once in awhile I will talk about Grandpa with my Grandma. I am so eager to learn more about him and what he was like. This was a conversation my Grandma and I had yesterday afternoon…

Me: Where did you and Grandpa meet?

Grandma: We met roller skating in town. I went skating with my sisters and didn’t notice him right away. We were walking home and Grandpa drove by asking if we wanted a ride home. We agreed. Grandpa then later asked me if I wanted to go skating again the following week. We pretty much starting going out a few times a week after that.

Me: Where did you guys go on dates?

Grandma: Movies, dinner, fairs, skating. We really liked skating.

Me: What made you fall in love with him?

Grandma: He was the kindest, gentlest, hard working man I knew. He was always a complete gentleman. It was hard not to love him. I miss him so much.

Me:(Tears start burning in my eyes) I can imagine. I wish I knew him.

Grandma: Me too. He would’ve loved watching you grow up. They aren’t too many guys like your Grandpa around anymore.

Me: You’re telling me.

Grandma: It was a simpler time back then. When your Grandpa and I got married, we didnt have a lot but yet had everything we needed. We were never without and both hard to maintain the life we had and wanted.

Me: You grew up during a good time in History. Times are so different now. So much greed, so much envy.

Grandma: Yes, I think I did too. I was born really early and they didn’t think I was going to make it but I somehow survived. I’m tough and throughout my life I have survived many set backs but I have never given up. Life is for living. Some days you are up and some days are you are down but you just gotta keep moving forward because that is all you really can do.


I can not express how much I love my Grandma. She is the sweetest, kindest, most sincere woman I know. She is wise beyond description and quite possibly the most important person in my life. She is my everything. I am so blessed to be able to call her MY Grandma. I see a lot of me in her as well. She has taught me so much about life but mostly to never give up on anything. I too am a fighter and I am tough, a lot tougher then I give myself credit for. Thanks to her, I have the courage to keep going. And if I fall (which I will), she is always there to cheer me back up and encourage me to keep moving on. I know she wont be around forever, but I do know she will continue to watch over me, encourage me, and cheer me on from Heaven. Heaven is where she eventually belongs as I know my Grandpa is anxiously waiting her, but all in good time.

2 comments:

Daphne Hope said...

Thanks for sharing your grandma's wise words. She seems like an amazing woman.

Jessie said...

Very cool documented conversation.