Awhile back, I blogged about "Living to my FULL potential". Yesterday was an eye opening day for me and I realized that something needs to change. I was at work, sitting in a meeting with peers and HR talking about our jobs, and how things are going to be changing with how they "Review" talent and steps you can take in your Development to get you to the next step. I was physically present in that meeting, but I was mentally checked out and having my own conversation with myself. I was sitting there saying to myself "What are you doing with your life Jessica? Do you really see yourself working for Corporate America for the next 30-40 years?" I left that meeting feeling sick, and also nervous. I realized that I am not passionate about what I do for work, and what I am doing in life. I want to live a FULL and FULLFILLED life. I want to make a difference. I want to make an impact. I haven't a clue what this looks like, but feeling these feelings has to be the first step of many I will need to take to get me to where I want to be.
Later last night, the unfortunate news of Steve Jobs passing away was ALL over the news, Facebook, and Twitter. I am probably one of the only human beings on this planet that does not own a piece of Apple Technology, but I respect and admire his vision and found him to be one of the worlds best innovators of our time. As I was surfing Facebook and Twitter posts, I was finding a lot of quotes and videos of his life, and speeches he made. The below video is his 2005 Standford Commencement Speech and quite possibly one of the most impactful speeches I have heard in a long time. It is rather long (15 minutes) but if you have the time, I suggest you watch it. Steve Jobs made an impact on our world because he never gave up on his passion. Near the end of his speech he says "Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish." Those are powerful words to live by. Starting today, I will remind myself to be those things. We only live this one life and we never know when that one life will be over. Life is short. Live your dream, share your passion.
"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma-which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of others' opinions drown our your inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary." -Steve Jobs
1 comment:
Powerful and insightful!
Thanks for sharing :D
Biz
Post a Comment